From:
Wayne Copeland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 20:33:35 -0500
Close - 802.11b cards will work off of an 802.11g access point.
802.11a is in a class all by itself - it uses a different frequency.
 802.11b/g are at 2.4GHz & 802.11a is at 5 GHz.  802.11b is the
slowest.  802.11a & 802.11b are faster at 54Mbps with "turbo" modes
to 72Mbps.  There is also some flavor of "super g" that runs at
108Mbps but you need to stay with the same manufacture for these.

I have two access points (ok routers) at home  One for 802.11b &
one for 802.11a.  I got the 802.11a stuff really cheap and it works
rocks solid.  My 802.11b cards are old Compaq WL100 cards (5-6 years
old) and they work just fine with my new Netgear MR814 router (but
no Windows XP drivers).  I had a Linksys access point that never
worked right from the beginning.  Linksys tech support kept giving
me the run around and when it finally died (out of warranty of
course) I bought the Netgear.  I'll never by Linksys network
equipment again.  On the other hand, I really like the Linksys KVM
switches.

- Wayne Copeland
  PC Support Group
  Minnesota Department of
  Employment & Economic Development

I've just added a Linksys wireless access point to my existing
network. It
is basically a wired hub that gives me wireless connections. I
installed the
access point just like I would any other add-on hub and configured
it from a
computer wired into the network. Then it was able to locate the
wireless
cards that I had in my notebook and one that I installed into a
computer in
my shop. It was easy to do and easy to configure, just follow the
directions. Check the website of the manufacturer of the hardware
you have
now, I'm a firm believer in keeping to the same brand whenever
possible. If
your wired hub is a router/gateway you would defiantly want the
add-on
wireless hub to be of the same manufacture. However if your hub is
simply a
hub, and is more than a couple of years old the wireless access
point
(Linksys) allows 4-wired connections and many (I think it's 32)
wireless
connections. Go with either 11-A or 11-G these are the most
compatible, if
you get an 11-G hub it will work with both A and G cards, an A hub
will work
with only A cards.

William Pike