Date:
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:19:45 -0400
Hello good people,
        I believe this is on topic...
        I have a modem problem on my sons IBM Thinkpad laptop.  It is running
Windows ME.
        When we first got it almost 3 years ago, we used it occasionally as a 'net
machine using the internal dial-up modem without problem.  Since then, I
networked all of the machines in the household and he connected via
broadband.  I'm not sure if we used the modem after that.  I recently had
occasion to use the modem when away from home and found that when I used
it, the computer would shutdown and reboot.
        On further observation, the connect process would go through all of the
steps from dialing through to verifying user name and password.  It would
say "connected" and as the modem status screen reduced itself towards the
lower right hand part of the Quick Launch bar, the machine would perform a
reboot and I'd have to wait through the whole scandisk process [because
Windows was not properly shut down] before the system was up and running again.
        Thinking that there might be something wrong with the internal modem, I
removed a fully functional modem PC card from *my* laptop, and installed it
successfully in his machine.  I made the same attempt to connect to the
'net and the result was identical-  once it said "connected" and  the modem
status screen reduced itself towards the lower right hand part of the Quick
Launch bar, the machine performed a reboot.
        I did a diagnostic on the internal modem and it appears to be working
properly, so between that and the PCMCIA modem card, I believe I have
removed the modem as the cause of this problem.
        I am thusly concluding that there is a Windows software error that I am
unable to locate.  I know that with the network installation, there were
settings that were changed on all of our machines [at the direction of
Netgear Tech support] , but I don't remember what they were.
        Has anyone out there either had this problem or have any idea how it might
be corrected?  All help would be gratefully accepted!

                Thank you very much!
                Marc Mandy

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>