Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 02:39:07 -0500
What I called "normal" refresh rate was not meant as "optimum".
It was just a wild guess of mine about what the "average" might be
around the world. This was somewhat based on my recent experiences with
old 14" monitors who's maximum refresh rate was 55hz, and knowing that
newer monitors can run at much higher refresh rates.

Definitely use the mfg.'s recommended rate or at least don't exceed the
mfg.'s maximum. Running the refresh rate at higher than the monitor can
support can quickly kill the monitor.

There may be a few situations where you might try changing the refresh rate,
for instance when a certain game just doesn't display right, a slower or
faster rate, (within the monitor's specs) might allow it to work better,
or when troubleshooting other display problems.
I don't recommend changing the refresh rate if it's working ok.
Larry Hooper

Demetri Kolokotronis wrote:

> > work for the video card and processor. Normal is about 60 to 70Hz.
> > Larry Hooper
>
> Several posted similar "normal" refresh rates. Both monitors on my dual
> monitor system have a refresh rate recommended by the manufacturer of
> 85hz. I set both monitors resolutions and refresh rates to each
> manufacturer's recommended setting. Is there any reason I shouldn't use
> the manufacturers' recommended settings?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml