From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 16:59:42 -0400
Upul Godage <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I want to share a computer with another person and I need a clean
>Windows directory without other person's installed DLLs, registry
>entries, applications etc.  That's two Win95 OSs on one computer.

Before I get "started", I never used:  >"third party software like
Partition Magic and installing a boot manager."
Also, have you given Hardware Profiles and User Profiles in Win95
a shot?  It is a cheap place to "cut your teeth". Not just what
you want, but alot easier.  (See below).

I used to do this in DOS with mutiple installations of different
(and the same) versions of Windows (3.1 to 3.11WFWG). I also had
"his and hers" windows for the wife and I...
I had  programs sharing directories and not... Depending on need.
Sharing files and directories made sense on a 340m drive... (grin)
Windows was small, programs were big... (Ahhh, the past...)
I often wondered if you could do something similar from
REAL MODE DOS(v7), before the Win95 protected mode stuff "kicked in".
On boot, some of the win "stuff" is "assigned" from msdos.sys
Example:
        [Paths]
        WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
        WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
        HostWinBootDrv=C
If you switched around enough stuff like that and more,
it might just work. (Proceed at your own risk)
After you managed to get two Win95s on the drives the fun begins.
To switch back and forth you might have to boot to DOS7 from a
floppy, and set things up with a batch file and reboot off the
"corrected" hard drive.
A boot menu on the floppy would be nice...
(I had one in DOS6.2, on the HD)
All utilities that saw your existing drives would _work_on_all_of
them. This was always another problem, especially with un-installers.
You (and they) might soon get confused about which programs were
shared and which were not.  You need a lot more detail than this,
and trust me, it gets to be quite a lot of "work" keeping things
straight.  On the brighter side, I could always repair one Windows
from inside another Windows, so never had to get very good at DOS...
There were some strong DOS tricks that never did work in the older
Windows though...
      Rick