Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 17:05:54 +0100
Hi, I've had a good look at this, and this is what it seems to say:
"Microsoft will offer paid incident support on Windows 98/98 SE through
January 16, 2004. Windows 98/98 SE downloads for existing security issues
will continue to be obtainable through normal assisted support channels at
no charge during this time
(This seems to say that the downloads for 'existing' security issues will be
available until Jan16th 2004 free of charge.)
Customers can request Windows 98/98 SE fixes for
new security issues and these requests will be reviewed.  Fixes for any new
security issues can be specifically requested through normal assisted
support channels.
(This seems to say that any 'new' security issues will be looked into on
request. It also seems to say that any new fixes can be requested through
the normal support channnels. It has been carefully worded so that it
doesn't put them under any obligation to actually come up with any new
fixes. Looking into it might not necessarily mean that they will act.)
 Web-based self-help support will be available for at
least one year after assisted support has concluded. Mainstream support for
Windows 98/98 SE ended on June 30th 2002, and no-charge incident support and
extended hotfix support ends on June 30th 2003"
(This seems to say that we are welcome to find 'self-help' for one year
after assisted support has ended, ie: January 16th 2005. No charge support
seems to end completely on 30th June 2003, afer which, although it doesn't
say it's not available any more, it points to there being a charge for it.)

Now, I don't know if I've read that correctly or not, I did look at it very
carefully.
I have no idea why companies have to word things the way they do, my theory
is the long sentences and twisting of words always look as though they're
giving a good deal on first impressions. After analysing it, however, you
often find that it says completely the opposite of what you thought it said
first time round.
Microsoft could have written this all in a much simpler fashion, but then
that wouldn't have confused enough people, would it?
Can anyone else explain this all a bit more, because, to tell you the truth,
I'm still none the wiser than I was when I first looked at it.
I'm a bit doubtful as to whether or not there will be any new security
fixes, as they seem to have phased them out over the past couple of months.
There haven't been any updates for a while now I've noticed, and yet, I
don't know if it's my imagination or not, microsoft in the past seemed to
come up with new ones on an almost weekly basis. I find it hard to believe
the security threats have become non-existant.
Can anyone else translate the microsoft message any clearer than I could, as
it's still not 100% clear to me, or, probably even to microsoft themselves.
Why they can't use plain english like the rest of us is beyond me.
Can anyone else come up with a much simpler translation of the
'microsoftesian' language?
Michele Sayer