From:
Lynn Tracy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 10:03:16 -0500
Hi-

This is how I always load Win98:

1. Boot with a windows 98 boot disk either 1 that came with your windows 98. (I have not seen a windows 98 CD-ROM disk that was bootable) or make one on another windows 98 computer from the control panel add/remove programs setup disk.

2. Select the boot menu option to include cdrom usage.

3. do NOT run setup from the windows 98 cdrom.

3.5 Assuming that you have use Fdisk and made the primary partition active.
Fdisk will of course require a reboot if you have partioned the hard disk into more than one partition.

Make sure that the primary partition is active. You may have to run fdisk again just to do/verify this step. Otherwise all the following won't work without an active formated partition.

4. Format the hard disk with the "format c:  /s" option. Do not reboot.

5. when format is complete. type C:

6. type "MD win98"

7. type "cd win98" (your prompt should show c:\win98>

8 type "copy D:\win98" (this will put all the files from your win98 disk into the directory c:\win98 from which you will then run the setup program.)
the D: hopefully is your cdrom drive. if not then whatever drive letter your cdrom is.

9. from the c:\win98 prompt, type "setup". You should then be on your way.

10. I recommend this method so that whenever you add hardware or some software wants/needs files from the windows 98 cdrom, you will not have to put the cdrom in your drive. Any program that asks for files from the windows 98 cdrom will accept them from the C:\win98 directory. saves having to always have that cdrom laying around.

PS: type the commands in " marks sans quotes.