From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:38:33 -0400
There are other options for recovering from a problem like this.
It is not necessary to format.
The "installations" of programs can be lost when the registry gets
corrupted, but all the files and data are still on the harddrive.
Sometimes you can just delete the Windows directory, re-install
Windows and go looking for your data. (ALL programs would
then need to be re-installed too.)
An immediate format is my last choice to recover from a problem.
As a matter of fact, I ONLY format a drive when I buy it, or when
moving it to a different machine.
Other than that, I manipulate things at a file level.
Just my $.02          Rick Glazier