From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2003 08:25:05 -0700
On 15 May 2003, at 6:53, [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> As I don't have any experience with cable modems, how can a person best
> "network" 2 PC's, one of which has a cable modem connection to the internet
> and the other is basically a stand alone PC right now. The main requirement
> is to have both machines with internet access from the single cable modem
> connection?
>
> What additional kit would be required? Hub? Cables?

Option A:

- add second NIC to machine with cablemodem connection
- use cross-over Ethernet cable to connect this second NIC to second machine
- enable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on dual-NIC PC
- configure second PC to obtain IP address etc automatically

  To support additional clients, replace cross-over cable with a hub or
switch and N+1 non-cross-over Ethernet cables.

Option B:

- install *router* attached to cablemodem using Ethernet cable
- install hub/switch attached to router using Ethernet cable (unless using a
router which includes this already, such as the Linksys multi-port models)
- connect PCs to hub/switch using Ethernet cables
- configure router and PCs -- consider configuring PCs to obtain config
automatically and router as DHCP server

David Gillett

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com