From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 21:38:00 -0500
At 08:27 PM 2/13/1999 Elizabeth Boston wrote:

>        I replaced a power supply and motherboard today in a
>Packard Bell computer.
>
>        The new power supply works fine. The reason for replacing
>the motherboard, was due to the fact that the computer would
>not find the keyboard. When booting, one of the first messages
>was "Keyboard not detected" There is no keylock feature on this
>computer, and I tried three keyboards, two of which I KNOW
>work. . . . The new motherboard has the same problem!

Elizabeth:

Do the lights on the keyboard light up during POST?
[Could be a lingering power issue.]

Can you get into CMOS using the keyboard before the
error message?!?  <g>  [Could be an unusual CMOS
setting implemented after the keyboard passes the
POST.]

Have you tested the motherboard outside the case to
determine whether there is a ground contact caused
inside the case? Also, disconnect every other peripheral
device and connection (including the Power and HDD
LEDs, Reset Switch, Speaker, etc.). In fact, use a
different (known working) power supply and switch.
[Eliminate all potential for ground contact and
conflict.]

Have you tried a different CPU and RAM? [Could be
a register AH problem with the CPU or a memory error.]

Good luck and please provide us with the epilogue to
satisfy our curiosities.

Regards,

John Chin

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]