From:
Tony Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 20:10:49 -0800
 From Webopedia.com:

"A metal bridge that closes an electrical circuit. Typically, a jumper
consists of a plastic plug that fits over a pair of protruding pins.
Jumpers are sometimes used to configure expansion boards. By placing a
jumper plug over a different set of pins, you can change a board's
parameters."

And from Cisco.com:

"Technical Definition:
Electrical switch consisting of a number of pins and a connector that
can be attached to the pins in a variety of ways. Different circuits are
created by attaching the connector to different pins."

It appears there may be more than one definition on this one ;)

Tony Mayer

Ron wrote:
> I previously presented a wrong answer to a guestion regarding the proper
> name for a Jumper thingy.
> I read an article regarding jumpers which made me question my reply so I did
> a little digging and came up with this info which I felt I should present in
> the interest of keeping information factual.
>
>  Jumpers are tiny pins usually about half a centimetre long closely grouped
>  together in twos or threes. A tiny connector called a shunt, slides down
> over two pins to create a circuit. Jumpers without a connecting shunt are
>  considered open or off, while jumpers with a shunt are considered shorted,
> closed or on.
>  Source- Michael Meyers A+ certification All in One
> Ron White

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml