Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2013 08:30:19 -0700
  Using a RAM disk as a swap drive is just silly.  The swap drive is
part of implementing virtual memory -- a disk area the system can store
things in that need to look, to programs, like they're in RAM, but which
there isn't enough physical RAM to hold.  You'd be better off letting
Windows manage that RAM as needed.
  I remember a cartoon from Windows 95/98 days that featured a user
exclaiming "Virtual memory!  Now I can make a really BIG RAMdisk!",
which is silliness in the other direction, using space that looks like
me,ory but is stored on disk as necessary, to look like it's always on
disk.

  The heyday of RAMdisks was probably the era of EMS memory, which was a
way to increase the RAM in a PC, but only applications that knew how to
talk to EMS could use it.  So a RAMdisk utility that could talk to EMS
could provide benefit to applications that didn't know how to use it.
  We're in a somewhat similar situation at the moment, where some
motherboards provide more RAM than 32-bit applications can use -- a
RAMdisk implementation that uses 64-bit mode to access that memory can
provide some benefit to applications that just think it's a really fast
drive.  Like EMS, this is almost certainly just a temporary quirk of
different parts of technology evolving in parallel but not in step.

David Gillett