From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:49:31 -0800
On 21 Oct 98 at 13:44, Carlos Arroyo Junior wrote:

> What kind of trouble arises when I'm using two memory types: SIMM
> (EDO) and DIMM (SDRAM)?

  It's my understanding that these may expect different voltages.  I
won't mix them in a machine unless the motherboard manual clearly
states that such a configuration is supposed to work.

> The speed of memory acess will be the slower one for all memory acess?

  Probably not.  If you had two banks of EDO, say, the slower one
would dictate how quickly you could access any of it.  But EDO and
SDRAM are habdled differently, and there's no reason why one should
slow down the other.
  Many machines risk slowing down if more than 64MB of RAM is
installed, and mixing types may get you close to that point.  But
that's a separate issue.

David G

                                  -----