From:
"Axelrod, Marc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 06:50:22 -0800
I had a strange problem last night, and although I temporarily fixed the
problem, I'm not real happy with the solution, nor do I truly understand
the problem.

i just built a system using a AMD K6-233 and a 430 TX MB.  After
installing Windows95 I began adding my other internal devices one at a
time.  First I added a second printer port (for a syquest drive), then a
sound card.  A-OK so far.

Then I added a modem (plug and play) and weird things started to happen.
The computer suddenly did not recognize my drives (HD + laser) on the
primary IDE channel.  Even the startup screen reported it wasn't there.
When I removed the modem the drives showed up again.

I temporarily fixed the problem by disabling COM 2 on the motherboard
which allowed the modem to assign itself to that port.  This is a temp
fix because I need that second port on the MB for my digital camera.

Has anyone had this type of problem/conflict?

I'm thinking of going into CMOS and reassigning the onboard com2 port to
com4.  Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks for your assistance.

Marc Axelrod