From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 22:13:49 +0200
Hello Bear,

Friday, July 02, 1999, 4:41:52 AM, you wrote:

B> Problem: Their floppy drive will read the disk correctly and work fine in
B> DOS, but when they try to look at the contents of the disk, or read the
B> disk in windows95 the light does come on the floppy drive, but it just
B> spins and doesn't do anything.

A very popular problem with people who make all they can to recover
their floppy disks.

The idea is that even when track 0 is damaged [dos/win format gives
up] some clever utilities, for example vformat, can make the disk work
by manipulating sector locations, inter-sector distance on the disk
and other very not-understandable stuff.

Anyway, these programs can make hopeless disks work -- but only in
DOS!

I don't know what's the Win95 problem, but it can't access those
disks.

If the contents of the disk are not critical, you may try to format
it using windows or dos format.com -- if it fails then I described
your problem; if not - there's something else. [warning! if you format
with dos the "failure-prone" disk described above it couldn't be
brought back alive without the help of vformat or similar utility].

Best regards,
 Max                            mailto:[log in to unmask]

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html