From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:28:52 -0500
From: "sue" :Sent: Monday, August 14, 2000 2:48 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Network card and irq

> Hi,
>
> I bought the Linksys Network Starter Kit  Model # EW5PCISK.    After all
my
> efforts, I can only see myself through the Network Neighborhood icon on
> each computer.
>
> Specs:
> #1 Computer
> Dell
> Intel 800
> 256 Ram
> Win98SE
>
> #2 Computer
> American Micro
> AMD 166
> 96 Ram
> Win98
> *****************
> Tech Support tells me:
> The LNEPCI2 will not share an irq; you need to have a free irq to start
with
> if not you need to free one up. In device manager/ computer properties is
> where you'll see your irq's, this card can be on the same irq as irq
holder
> for pci steering.  Check both PC's.
> *****************
>
> The card installed fine on computer #2 on irq 10.  On computer #1 it
> installs on irq 3.  Listed below are the current settings for computer #1.
>
> DEVICE MANAGER/COMPUTER PROPERTIES/VIEW RESOURCES
>
> IRQ
> 00      System timer
> 01      Standard 101/102 Key or MIcrosoft Natural Keyboard
> 02      Programmable interrupt controller
> 03      Linksys LNEPCI II PCI Ethernet Adapter
> 03      Promise Technology Inc. Ultra66 IDE Controller
> 03      IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> 04      Communications Port (Com 1)
> 06      Standard Floppy Disk Controller
> 07      ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
> 08      System CMOS/real time clock
> 09      US Robotics 56K Voice PCI
> 09      Intell82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
> 09      IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> 10      Creative SB Live! Value
> 10      IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> 11      NVIDIA GeForce 256 AGP (Dell)
> 11      IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
> 12      PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
> 13      Numeric data processor
> 15      Intel 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
> 15      Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
>
> I need to get this card on irq 10 or irq 11 according to the info I read
in
> the networking area of no-spin.   But, since I already have 2 things on 10
> and 11, I need to free one up.          Putting the network card with the
> IRQ holder of pci steering is possible.  But, I have no idea how to change
> this.  I am reluctant to work with irq 11 because that's my video
> card.  I'm looking to changing to irq 10.  However, there is no info in
the
> networking area of no-spin as to how I do this.
>
> Any help is appreciated with this procedure.    Also, any other ideas as
> what I can do are welcome.
>
> Sue Na

Sue,

Your AGP port and all of your PCI slots share 4 IRQ's.  You need to find out
from your manual how these IRQ's are shared.  Many motherboards share IRQ's
in this manner:
AGP port and PCI Slot 1 share an IRQ
PCI slot 2 does not share an IRQ
PCI slot 3 does not share an IRQ
PCI slot 4 & PCI slot 5 share and IRQ

Your motherboard may not share the IRQ's in the same manner so you must
check your manual or with Dell to see how the IRQ's are shared.  There are
two ways to accomplish changing IRQ's.
First, if your BIOS supports assigning IRQ's to PCi slots you can change the
IRQ assignment in the BIOS by turning off PnP and selecting Resources
controlled by Manual under the PnP/PCI configuration in the BIOS (or
something similar to this wording).
Second, you will have to move the cards around in the slots according to how
the PCI slots share IRQ's to change their IRQ assignment.

From your current setting on Computer 1, you should be able to switch the
Sound Blaster Live and the Linksys card to accomplish what you want.  The
Sound Blaster live is on IRQ 10 by itself (only sharing with the IRQ Holder
for PCI steering), so by switching the slots the cards are in you should be
able to get the Linksys card on IRQ 10 and the Sound Blaster Live will share
an IRQ with the Ultra66 IDE Controller.

Hope this helps,

Mary Wolden

                     visit our download web page at: