From:
Mikee Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:34:32 -0400
I use Windows XP SP3 with all the current updates and use Avast anti-virus along with other security programs. The computer is about six years old. I am not that computer savvy. Recently I started having problems using the mouse. The problem may have started with the last Windows XP update.

Sometimes when I use the mouse to "right click", the computer will freeze up; the "hour glass" keeps moving but nothing happens. Sorry about my lack of computer tech language, I am not that knowledgeable. So far, when this happens I am working on the desktop.

I have walked away from the computer for an hour or more hoping that it will correct itself with no luck. I try "Task Manager" to end it, using CTRL/ALT/DELETE, and sometimes this works but most the time it does not.

In order for me to correct this, I have to restart the computer. Before the computer shuts down, a message comes up stating to end "explorer.exe" which I do.

At first, I thought I was clicking too fast and have been slow and deliberate to see if it was me but it will at times, still act up. I have a habit of "right-clicking" and I am trying not to but there are times when I have to "right-click" or just forget not to use it since I have been doing this for so long.

I am thinking maybe it could be the mouse since it is over five years old. The mouse is nothing fancy just a plain one that uses the red light instead of the roller ball.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be? I sometimes have to restart my computer a few times a day and I do not think that is a good thing to do.

I do not want to buy a new computer, we are happy with the one we have and as of now, never had a problem. I say this because whenever I mention the age of our computer, most people tell me it is too old and we should replace it. We do not agree... hey, we are getting older too; I just hope no one is looking to replace us.

I appreciate any help that is offered. Thank you.

Mikee Pearson

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>