From:
Dave Gibson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 20:38:54 -0400
Dan, as far as I'm aware, you CAN do what you want (I have ICS working
with Road Runner here on my home network). I have mine configured,
though, so one machine has both the Road Runner network card (for the
cable modem) AND a second card to connect to the LAN. RR told me this
was the only way to do it. So, my advice would be to switch the cable
modem from the hub to one computer and then run ICS on that computer
for the rest of the LAN. Although you say you have 98SE on both
computers, keep in mind only the one that is the "server" for ICS
needs to run SE, the others can run the original 98 or even versions
of 95.

I had similar problems as you report when they did it the way you
mentioned, so I had 'em come back and switch it. We had difficulty in
the machine I used both the network cards in, so we made one a PCI
card and the other is an ISA card.

Only other solution I might suggest is to get one of those
hub/hardware firewall items D-Link and Netgear, among others, sell.

Hope this helps...
Dave Gibson
On Thursday, 10 Aug, Dan Duffy wrote:

Computer A = 500 K62 128 MB Ram Win98 SE
Computer B = P166 mmx 64 MB Ram Win98 SE
Road Runner Cable Modem
4 port Netgear DS 104 10/100 hub

Computer A is plugged into the hub
Computer B is plugged into the hub
Road Runner Cable modem is plugged into the hub

When I run "winipcfg" I get a separate IP address
for each computer. Road Runner in my area allows you
2 computers connected for the same price.

Both computers show up in Network Neighborhood and I
can transfer files between the two with no trouble.
I have Netbeui and TCP/IP protocols installed and
configured the same on both computers.

Now, here is the problem...sorry it took so long to get to it.

Computer A can pull up web pages with no problem.
Computer B can NOT pull up any web pages.  I keep getting the
page error that says "Can not display this page". I've tried
other addresses and still the same thing.

I can go the the DOS prompt and ping and I get 4 replies every time.
So, it seems to be working in DOS?

I brought Computer B to my house and hooked up to a similar network
with DSL and used winipcfg to release all and renew all which gave
me another IP address and it still gave me that same page. I have also
tried a known working networking card and that didn't work either.

I've also re-installed Win98 SE without luck....I'm getting ready to
format the drive and start over but I'm worried that if that doesn't
work, that would be my last resort.

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions