From:
Will Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 08:00:08 -0500
Hello!

I work for an ISP that recently tried (and tried and tried) to upgrade to
the v.90 protocol. I have never heard of WFW being unable to connect with
the v.90 standard simply because the operating system has little to do with
the actual connection. What I mean by this is that the ISP's modems don't
care what OS you have, merely what modem you have - more specifically the
language the modem speaks. I believe that modem protocols are not OS
specific.

One of our problems in the v.90 fiasco was that USR modems often failed to
make a connection, which is why we downgraded to kflex. You might have your
sister ask her ISP to research a modem init string that would allow her to
connect.

Here are some possibilities to try:
        AT&F1S32=98
        ATS27=32
        ATS28=115

These may not work, but it's worth a shot. Good luck!

Will Stephenson

Has anyone heard of an ISP's upgrading to V.90 causing customers
running Windows for Workgroups to lose their ability to connect?

                                  -----