From:
Diane Duncan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:26:42 -0700
At 12:49 AM 7/11/04 -0400, Joseph wrote:
>Go to start/settings/printers, right click on the networked printer and
>choose the details tab.  Look at the drop down with all the ports and make
>sure it is set to print to the print server port.

Thank you for very direct guidance, Joseph!  It's working.

However...on the XP, I got "Spooler SubSystem App has encountered a problem
and needs to close".  It's one of those send this report to MS
dialogues.  It popped up right after I hit print a test page, but the test
page printed out just fine.  I tried another test page, and it printed
fine, too, although that Spooler SubSystem dialogue popped up again.  What
does that mean, and should I worry now or wait until things blow up...?

Here's the error signature:
szAppName: spoolsv.exe   szAppVer: 5.1.2600.0   szModName: unknown
szModVer: 0.0.0.0   offset: 00000000

Error Report Contents:
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2.tmp.dir00\spoolsv.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

>When you installed it to the print server, did you run the setup as a
>network printer? If the two printers are one and the same you will have to
>change the print to port each time you use it.

I don't know.  I was following the instructions from Netgear, doing stuff
in 98 and XP as my first foray into "networking".  Given that the print
server is by default a network scenario, I'd have to assume (always risky)
that I did run the setup as a network printer.  The two printers are
different.  I'm only using one printer, the 990, on the router printer
server plug.  The 98 machine is hooked up directly to a 1300 HP printer as
well as the router/printer server.  The XP is hooked up only to the
router/printer server.

thx,
Diane

> >Hi,
> >
> >I need help with the printer server part of my very simple local
> network.
> >
> >Specs:
> >Netgear Cable/dsl Prosafe Firewall/Print Server FR114P
> >Desktop running 98SE
> >Laptop running XP Home
> >HP Deskjet 990c printer

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: