From:
Tom Connolly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 10:59:29 EDT
Hello,
Well,for one thing,any number of things can cause the computer to freeze and
that is typically caused by the video card.I can't say what is causing
your(or your friends)problem but I can only suggest trying these websites
for help.But,if you go back to the Nospin URL I gave you,there is a "TIPS"
URL you can use to format in either situation(Partitioned or not).Trying to
explain a total format or a partition format would be long but easier to go
there.One,I do know an FDISK isn't needed to format if his computer isn't
partitioned,but FDISK will tell you if it is!
If his computer freezes a great deal,he's probably loading to many programs
at once and they are running in the background when windows gets loaded up.I
don't know how much RAM he has,and even then,I couldn't tell him what to
remove from the start-up because I don't know if it is needed in the
start-up! You can check how much RAM you have and the available resources
too by ,right clicking on MY COMPUTER,then choose PROPERTIES,then click on
the PERFORMANCE tab.There you will see how much MEMORY you have and below
that line is the,SYSTEM RESOURCES,if your resources are below 60%,your
running to many programs at once.
If you want to attempt removing things from the start-up,that is your
choice,it is relatively safe to do.If you do remove these you can still use
the program,you just have too click on it to use it,no big deal,I do it all
the time!!
You may try this first to see if this helps,oterwise,you may format or get
the maker of the PC for tech support if available.
Try this:
Click start\run\then type"msconfig"(without the quotations)you will get a
configuration box,then choose the circle "selective start up",then click on
the start up tab at the top right.
After that you'll see a line of items in a window that are in the start- up
of your computer,I am sure there are many check marked,you can uncheck
these.The ONLY ONES YOU ABSOLUTELY DO NOT UNCHECK ARE;
-systray,
-scheduling agent(its not too necessary,but leave it be),
-LoadPowerProfile
-Anything relating to your brand of anti-virus in the start up also.
-ScanRegistry(I dont use this,but you need it,I do a manual scan every other
day).
Click apply,then you'll have to re-start your pc,just choose that at the
prompt!This will remove items from running in the background during start-up
of windows,freeing resources for RAM to use.
Then after a restart,right click on MY COMPUTER again,then PROPERTIES,then
the PERFORMANCE tab,and see what you have for resources,I'm sure you'll see
a marked improvement,this will more than likely help out the problems you
have.If they continue,then there can be any number of issues from
hardware,to a virus too.

Anyway,here a formatting URL that's actually from Microsoft:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q255/8/67.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0
If you format,here is a URL that may help with more detailed instructions:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/windows/readme/98/setup.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0
I hope this helps :-)
TOM C