From:
Mike Buraczewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 19:27:22 -0600
Hello to all

I am having a problem with a machine I recently rebuilt.  I installed a new
motherboard [ A-Trend ATC-5050] and am using an Intel Pentium 54c 200 mhz
processor.

The problem is this:

When I cold boot the machine with the external zip drive powered up and
plugged into the parallel port, the computer will not even attempt to boot.
The fans does not start, the front panel doesn't light up, nothing.

If I unplug the data cable on the back of the zip drive, and/or unplug the
zip drive power transformer, the machine will boot normally.

If I remove the zip drive and plug the printer directly into the parallel
port, there is no problem.  If I boot the machine with the zip drive
disconnected and connect the zip drive during bootup, there is no problem.

I have tried with 2 different zip drives and have the same results.

My guess is that I am having a ground somewhere, but I cannot think where it
might be.  The parallel port works properly in that there is not problem
printing or accessing the zip drive for information once the machine is up
and running.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look.  I am thinking
perhaps on the secondary connectors on the motherboard for reset switch or
speaker etc.  Any other suggestions?

Mike Buraczewski

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html