From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 20:14:14 -0400
At 07:44 05-05-98 -0700, Russ wrote:
>Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> I know that there are more exotic forms of ECC that have more extra bits
>> than does parity RAM (for even more error protection). But I am asking
>> about regular 72 bit wide DIMMs.
>
>....SDRAM is a different type of interface for the clock and timing of the
>RAM. It is unrelated to parity or correction. Conceivably, SDRAM can come
>in various flavors of parity or ECC.
>
>I have never seen ECC in 72 pin SIMM's [...] you see them more commonly in
>168pin DIMM's...

I mentioned regular SDRAM modules as an example because there *are* more
exotic forms of ECC RAM like the 72 pin ECC SIMMs that DPT sells (at
very high prices) for their caching RAID controllers. (They perform
multi-bit error correction because they have *more* than 8 extra bits
per pair of SIMMs. These controllers will also accept standard
ECC EDO, albeit without the extended error correcting.)

Actually, 72 pin ECC SIMMs are available. Crucial (Micron) sells them:
<http://silicon.micron.com/crucial/cart/html/modulist.cfm>

I didn't mean to give the impression that SDRAM implied parity or ECC. :)
I mentioned it since it is the RAM of choice for the current crop of LX
and BX chipset based PII motherboards. I believe these motherboards
will take either regular or ECC SDRAM and when you do have ECC, will let
you choose to enable ECC (or not) in the BIOS setup.

Regards,
Bill