From:
Richard Micko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:56:43 -0500
PCBuild:

I have been experiencing the following blue screen error when building
systems based on the VIA chipset:

Disk Write Error
unable to write to disk in Drive C:
Data or files may be lost.
Press any key to continue.

The error occurs during bootup.  Windows 95 will start with it's splash
screen, then go blank/black.  The hard disk activity light remains on, but
no hard disk activity is heard.  While the systems seem to be frozen, after
a lengthy wait of 5-10 minutes, I will finally get the blue screen error
message.

The most aggravating part of the problem is that it is not consistent.  Most
times the system will boot fine.  However, every once in a while the error
will occur.  In any case, I can't release these systems as is.

System(s) Details:
O/S:  Win95 OSR2 with IE 4.1
M/B:  DFI P5BV3+ Rev.A+, AT style, VIA chipset,  (OR)
        FIC PA2013, ATX stle, VIA chipset
CPU:  AMD K6-2-300 (OR) AMD K6-300
H/D:  WD 8.4 (OR) 4.3 GB UDMA IDE
RAM:  1 64MB DIMM

All the variations are from my trying to troubleshoot the problem.  One more
detail that may apply:  The RAM is NOT PC100.  I have checked to make sure
the settings are correct - 66MHz and 4.5x multiplier.

Tx,
Richard Micko
Clipper Computer, Inc.
Cleveland, OH  44113