From:
Michael Wurster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:40:43 -0700
Hi,
It's customary to see "NONE" in the BIOS for CD-ROMs connected to the
controller. Usually if the setting is Auto the BIOS will find it during
boot and will display a message saying that the device was found during
the boot process. I would look at the following: Incorrect jumper
settings on the CD-ROM or hard drive, a "Cable Select" only device on
the the controller, a bad cable or a cable partially connected, or a
non-bootable CD in the drive during the boot process. It is also
possible the drive is dirty or malfunctioning. I would put the CD-ROM on
the secondary channel, set up as master, and set the BIOS to AUTO and
see what happens. And make sure the CD is bootable and that it does
indeed boot in another machine if possible.

Michael
Venkat Viswanathan wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>(1) o/s--win xp pro
>
>(2)primary ide channel-----samsung hdd (master),  LG cd rom (slave)
>
>(3)secondary ide channel----nothing connectd at all
>
>problem:--- during post the samsung hdd and cd rom is detected ok. but when i enter BIOS it only shows the hdd as master and slave-- "none".  secondary ide channel "none" for both master and slave.
>
>ide is set for "auto" detect and when i enter the "slave" of primary ide it is set to "auto" and the options are... auto, manual, none.
>
>the result is that when i set to "boot from cd" i end up with "Atapi cd rom failure" and a perennially blinking cursor forcing me to power off.
>
>how do i get my cd rom to be recognised by the BIOS? it is award bios.
>
>any input will be gratefully accepted and I hope i can avoid the six floppy boot disk creation .... i am not sure whether this will help at all.
>
>thanks and good day----Venkat
>
>        The NOSPIN Group has added a new feature on our website,
>           web based bulletinboard for questions and answers:
>              Visit our sister website at http://nospin.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml