From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2004 23:49:27 -0800
  Nobody has responded to this, and that's okay.  I've continued to work
with it and experiment and hit the search engines, and I believe I'm closing
in on something to do with "SB16 emulation" being recognized by Windows, but
either not supported by my motherboard or not yet correctly configured in
the BIOS settings.

David Gillett

On 30 Dec 2003 at 11:57, David Gillett wrote:

>   I've been rebuilding my Windows 98 SE machine, and I seem to have hit a
> snag.  I'm using a Tyan Tsunami (S1484?) motherboard with a 400 MHz PII and
> 384 MB of RAM, with the following expansion cards:
>
> AGP:    empty
> PCI 1:  Matrox Mystique w/ Rainbow Runner
> PCI 2:  Maxtor (Promise) ATA-133 controller
> PCI 3:  3x USB 2.0, 2x FireWire
> PCI 4:  Pinnacle PCTV
> PCI 5:  empty, overlaps with ISA 1
> ISA 1:  empty, overlaps with PCI 5
> ISA 2:  empty
>
>   That configuration works, except that there's no sound.
>
>   When I add an SBLive 5.1 card in PCI slot 5, Windows 98 SE detects it and
> tries to configure it, and hits a blue screen in a VXD called "NTKERN".
>
>   Checking the CMOS setup, I seem to see that PCI slots 1 & 5 share the same
> IRQ "priority", and I suspect that this is a clue.
>
>   I've tried disabling ACPI, which forced Windows to re-detect everything,
> but did not solve the problem.
>
> ---
>
>   When I put a hard drive in the removable bay, the system will run for a
> while and then suddenly die.  It doesn't do it if I leave the drive out, so
> I suspect I'm running close to the limit of what this power supply can
> handle.
>   I think that's a separate issue, but perhaps someone here knows
> different....
>
> David Gillett
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                     visit our download web page at: