From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:07:20 -0600
Your 256MB SDRAM is not registered memory.  I have several of those modules
at home and at work.  There can be a problem in mixing modules from
different manufacturers, especially if the modules are designed to adhere
exactly to the minimum JEDEC standard for SDRAM as opposed to exceeding the
standard.  It's possible to end up with a mix of memory that has capacitance
and/or inductance characteristics that wreak havoc with the system's memory
timings and cause just the problems that you're experiencing.  It doesn't
mean that the memory is bad, just that the modules won't work with each
other in the same system.

Additionally, if your system is based on an Intel 815 controller, you cannot
reliably use all three DIMM sockets because Intel provided for only four
banks of memory.  Generally three sockets are provided, however that is only
as a convenience for memory that has a single bank, generally 32MB DIMMs.
See what happens if you use combinations of two DIMMs, particularly the
256MB and 128MB modules.

Unfortunately, I've been working pretty exclusively with DDR memory design
the past couple of months, so I may have some SDR SDRAM and DDR SDRAM stuff
crossed, but I think this is pretty much right.

Drew Dunn
The NOSPIN Group