From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 19:17:27 -0700
I do the OS, then all the OS updates. The very next thing is Goback in case
something gets screwed up. It might be a good idea to copy the hard disk at
this point to a CD so you still have a clean registry. One of the last
things is the anti-virus and/or system utilities, both of which can cause a
lot of problems on installs.  I am not sure what good running scandisk would
do between installs, but it can't hurt anything.  You might even want to
defrag between installs, but it will take a month of Sundays to install all
your software that way.  If you can, get the most recent copies of all your
software so you don't need to be doing all the updates separately.  Keep an
eye out for the version conflict manager so that all your OS updates don't
get overwritten by older files.  You may want to reinstall all the OS
updates one more time after your software is installed, just in case newer
files have been overwritten.

After having done another format and reinstall, I have two questions:

Do others have an order of program installation, such as, first OS, then
antiviral program, then word processor, etc?

Do others have a routine for mitigating problems, such as, running
Scandisk between each program installation?

Demetri Kolokotronis

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>