From:
brian coe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:27:43 -0700
gdisk will work and you can download it from Symantec site.gdisk is part of
the ghost Utilities set. what I do when I want to kill all old things like
this is use Disk edit and write 0s to the 500 sectors of the drive. the
procedure is fairly simple. if you have a copy of Norton Utilities around
email me and I would be happy to send ya the instructions.

Brian Coe
CM Productions

At 04:38 PM 7/22/99 , you wrote:
>Actually, that might have worked.  I have also been told of a utility call
>"gdisk", similar to fdisk, except that executing the program will,
>guaranteed, wipe your hard drive immediately.  I guess I'm a little wary of
>doing that when I know the original program will uninstall itself.  I would
>always have that nagging doubt about whether another utility actually did
>everything to kill it, or left some nasty tidbits around to come back and
>bite me down the road.  Heavy sigh!!!
>
>Kyle
>

>>From: Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] How to remove Ontrack
>>Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 10:00:40 -0500
>>
>>Kyle Elmblade wrote:
>> >  I have a Maxtor 4.3GB HD that had an overlay on it, and I did
>>everything short of a
>> > low-level format to try and get rid of it.  Nothing worked until I
>>obtained
>> > a copy of the ACTUAL VERSION of this particular overlay program and
>>removed
>> > it using the programs remove utility.  IMHO, that is the safest way to
>>make
>> > sure the overlay is completely gone.
>>

>>   I wonder if you had used the NT utility DELPART.EXE if you could have
>>killed it? I use it for troublesome
>>NTFS partitions (especially if someone has dual-boot installed NT and
>>Win9X).

>         The PCBUILD web site always needs good submissions.  If
>          you would like to contribute to the website, send any
>               hardware tech tips or hardware reviews to:

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html