From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 23:19:16 -0700
On 14 Apr 2002, at 11:35, The Stephensons wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I am helping a business figure out how to get a small network (5
> computers) to share a DSL connection.
>
> Right now, the network runs through a switch. In the desire of security,
> a hardware firewall is being contemplated. My (very) basic understanding
> of how this would work is:
>
> DSL modem ---> Router (with firewall and NAT) ---> switch --->
> individual computers
>
> Is this configuration overkill? Will it work as shown? Are there any
> gotchas I should be aware of? I imagine that books are written about
> this subject, so I apologize for the generalness of the questions.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Will Stephenson ><>

  This is exactly right.

  The router will have two interfaces -- on a small "appliance"
router, they're usually labelled "WAN" and "LAN".

  The "LAN" interface connects to the switch via a normal Cat5 cable.
 (Some of the small routers on the market include a switch, but since
they've already got one, you don't need that.)
  Generally, the LAN interface will come configured for a private
address such as 192.168.1.1, and will offer a web "management
interface" on that address.  You configure one of the PCs to a
compatible address, and use your browser to connect to the router and
configure its options.

  In most cases, the WAN interface will obtain an IP address from the
cable provider via DHCP.  You may need to set the MAC address of the
WAN interface to the value expected by the cable company for your
location.
  The LAN interface, though, may offer a DHCP server, providing
compatible addresses to the PCs on the LAN.  You might or might not
use this; if you don't, you'll need to configure each PC so that its
address and subnet mask are compatible with the router's LAN
interface(*), and set the router's LAN address as the default
gateway.

(*) If there's a set of addresses you're already committed to using,
it may be simpler to change the router's LAN address than all the
PCs.

David Gillett

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>