From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:44:04 -0800
Hopefully, there's a little helpful advice here for joseph and David...

joseph wrote:

> Try going back to 256 Mb of RAM, as Win 98 seems to have problems with amounts of RAM over 256 Mb.  Believe
me, Win Me is a worse OS than Win 98. I just got a new Dell with Win Me, and at a week old, with no hardware
changes or additions, it locks up on almost everything.  I cannot believe that Microsoft has continued to
dominate the OS business with the outright junk they've been selling.  My next upgrade will be Linux, or
whatever comes down the pike that is stable.  Win XP might be as good as they say, but it indentures you to
Microsoft.  A very unhappy Dellsoft customer.

joseph,

WinME is basically Win98 - it's just a slightly modified version. Your system is only a week old and you are
obviously an unhappy camper, but you just need to work the bugs out of it. I would start by putting a shortcut
to Dr. Watson in your startup folder. Many lockups are caused by the simplest things and Dr. Watson provides
excellent info on the causes. It also offers suggestions on how to solve various problems. I too was plagued
with lockups when my system was new last March, but time and effort have eliminated them almost completely -
Real Player caused a BSOD 2 or 3 nights ago, but that's the first lockup in months. Since working out the
bugs, I've had almost zero problems with WinME. (No, I'm not associated with MS or Dr. Watson!)
-------------------
David wrote:

> >I just upgraded my motherboard, CPU and RAM, from 66MHz bus
> >speed, Celeron 466, 192MB RAM to 133MHz, Pentium III 800, 512
> >MB RAM.  Now I get frequent freezes.  It looks to me like the
> >freezes always come when I'm using Windows graphics
> >capabilities in some way, e.g., at the exact moment I click on an
> >icon or open a folder.  Any ideas?

David,

If I were going to suspect hardware, I would be thinking video card since your problems seem to be
graphics-related. Did you upgrade it as well? Also, is your new mobo overclockable? That can cause severe
graphic flakiness. The advice to joseph (above) about Dr. Watson could also help you pinpoint graphic-related
lockups. hth

Alan Thompson

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml