From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 20:27:23 -0600
At 07:46 PM 5/22/98 -0400, Adam Gonsman wrote:
>I'm a pretty serious gamer and have a fairly big sound system on my computer
>( true 80 watts per channel and 50 watt sub). I'm wondering if I should be
>concerned at all about hardware damage like the HD platter thrown out of
>rotation and scratting on the read-write head or that sort of thing. I know
>there is an incredibly minute clearence in something like a harddisk but not
>quite sure exactly what kind of force it takes to jerk something out of
>alignment. Any suggestions for something I could set my tower on to absorb
>vibration? TIA

You sound like a nightmare to your neighbors...  alas and alack...  be that
as it may...    as long as your system is sitting on something soft that allows
for shock absorption...  such as rubber feet or even a couple of mouse
pads, the vibrations should not move through the case.  If you wish to
isolate the box from sound vibrations, you may wish to use something
soft around it....   remember that cloth is a great sound buffer, such
as a terry towel.

In fact, I do not believe as a matter of course that even sound at 130dbs
(louder than a jet plane taking off at close range), will have any effect on
your hard drive...

Might I recommend, (meant in the most friendly manner of course), that
you consider using head phones.   Your neighbors will be pleased,
your house partners will rejoice and you will have no further worries of
damaging your computer...   *grin*

IMHOYU....

ß0ß WRIGHT  -   [log in to unmask]  - http://nospin.com
Owner   PCBUILD - PCSOFT - VPLANETS - PCBLDFAQ