From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 07:57:05 -0400
Unless Gateway has changed its business plan, the problem with putting in a new PS is that you have to get it from them because the size of the PS has been proprietary.  In my case it was much narrower and longer than a standard ATX PS.  They also refused to sell me a PS that had more wattage than my original.

>In regards to the Gateway power supply there are a couple of theings to
>consider.  Is it ATX or AT style? You don't mention that.
>
>Does it have extra leads to the main board?  ATX normally has 1 large plug,
>rectangular in shape and the AT's had 2 plugs (p8 & P9) that went next each
>other.   Also ATX supplies usually do not
>have the power switch connected to them.  The switch connects to the main
>board.  AT on the other hand have some sort of switch, either electricaly
>or mechanically conttected to the power supplu from the case.  If it has
>extra leads to the main board, you may be stuck finding having to find an
>exact replacement or equivalent.
>
>If there are no extra leads to the main board, then most any power supply
>of the correct type (AT or ATX) would probably work electrically. Dell's
>for instance have an extra lead that looks like a P8 connector on some of
>their ATX supplies. I would take a guess it is an ATX style since you have
>a PII in it.
>
>The other consideration is the physical size.  Is it a "normal" PS/2 style
>or is it something that is "odd".  If you're not sure then have a
>knowledgeable friend look at it or a take a quick trip to a local store, to
>answer that question.
>
>If you opt for a new supply, you might want to consider getting one that is
>a bit beefer in the wattage and could possible handle an Athlon or P4 maind
>board and chip in case you desire to upgrade later.  The newer supplies
>would have extra power leads that you would not use on your present system.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com