From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:02:06 -0600
At 10:12 AM 7/28/99 , Rick Christian wrote:
>I have a reoccuring problem with a PC that gives:
>
>"The hard disk has been locked to preserve long filename support. Use the
>LOCK /S command to correct."
>
>Then shuts down.
>
>WIN 98 will not boot past this.
>
>I can boot to a command line, and every thing is fine in DOS.
>
>In the past I've just reinstalled WIN98 and it works for awhile till it
>returns.
>
>MB: Soyo 5EHM
>Video: Trident AGP 8MB 9685
>
>I've had no luck uncovering a problem.
>
>I am now planning on reformating the drive to do a fresh install, but
>would rather not unless needed.

I believe the actual message you are receiving is this:
"Windows has disabled direct disk access to protect your long file-
  names. To override this protection, see the LOCK /? command for more
  information. "
"The system has been halted. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart
  your computer."

This occurs when a program attempts to bypass the operating
system and system ROM BIOS and write to the hard disk directly.
When programs attempt to access the hard disk in this manner, Windows
prevents the program from doing so and displays the message.

In other words, you have an application on the system that is causing the
problem.  Typically, this is some application that is loaded in the
AUTOEXEC.BAT file...    but, it can be almost anything.  You need
to examine all the system's application software for the problem.
Most likely it will be some unique program to this computer, possibly
something written to support legacy devices or your local Intranet.

                 Bob Wright
        The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,