From:
Gary Tennesen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 2004 17:49:48 -0700
Have you been able to use any other USB devices?  (printer, camera, storage,
etc.)  See if you can borrow a digital camera (with USB cable and software,
of course) from a good friend if you have no USB devices to test.

Some systems need the original USB drivers installed rather than the
"auto-installed" Microsoft drivers in order for USB to work.

One VERY important sign that your USB is working at your computer's end is
that Windows will prompt you that a new device is present when you switch to
a different USB port.

Windows 98 Second Edition and later are the preferred operating system for
USB useage; however, your cable modem probably came with a folder called
"USB" on the install disk.  See if you can overwrite your current driver
with that -- can be done by simply running the setup.exe or install.exe file
contained in the USB folder of the modem's install disk.

Many cable and DSL modems come with USB and cat5 connection... if yours has
Cat5 capability, hook it up to your network card (install a $20 one if you
don't have one).

Just a few ideas to try.

--gary r. tennesen