From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 01:01:24 -0700
The old scandisk utility you are used to from Win98 was replaced
starting with WinNT and continuing through to WinXP with the chkdsk
utility. It works much in the same way as scandisk did, but with some
changes. One is that in order to check the boot drive, the system needs
to reboot to do so, a quirk of the NTFS file system. The easiest way to
conduct a scan is to enter this into the Run option inside the Start
Menu: chkdsk (drive letter) /f. The /f option tells chkdsk to fix what
it finds, not just to look for goofy files. A more intense scan would
use the /x option instead of /f, which will tell chkdsk to also scan all
of the drive clusters for physical defects, much like the surface scan
of years past. Hope this helps :)

Imran Choonawala wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a PC intell PII 350 MHZ having a platform of
> win98 and I can run scandisk by going to Dos Prompt.
> Pls tell me how to run scandisk on PIV 1.7Ghz with
> windows XP SP2 by following the same procedure as I
> use to do in PII.
> Pls note that I would like to see the same screen of
> scandisk as we generally see while performing scandisk
> on DOS Prompt.
> Regards
> Imran

> Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.
>
>         The NOSPIN Group has added a new feature on our website,
>            web based bulletinboard for questions and answers:
>               Visit our sister website at http://nospin.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml