From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 13:04:45 -0500
Tom mentioned heat as a possible problem, and I would like to add a bit to
that.  With heat, the temperature builds to a critical level, and then,
hopefully, the computer shuts down.  This would indicate that the computer
is shutting down at about the same time, no matter what program you are
using at the time.  A good way to clean out your computer relatively safely
is with compressed air.  You can buy a can of compressed air at a hardware
store (about $5?) or a six-pack at someplace like Lowe's for much cheaper
per can.  (You can always use it for cleaning behind the refrigerator, etc.)
You can then "dust" the insides of your computer without touching anything
except the side of the case, which you have to remove.  Another thing that
you can try is to open the side of the case and run a floor fan on it,
seeing if the computer still crashes, or still crashes at the same time.

If the computer crashes immediately upon startup (at possibly random times),
it might not be overheating unless for some reason the contact between the
cpu and its fan has become bad.  (Not a good thing to happen, as a cpu will
burn out pretty fast.  Been there.  Done that.)  If you are inclined to mess
with the cpu, you can (after doing the stuff in the first paragraph with no
luck) try removing the cpu fan, cleaning joining surfaces with a Q-tip, and
replacing the thermal grease.  Make sure that you ground yourself to the
case frequently by touching it, work on a static-free surface, and unplug
your computer!!

If neither of these work, then it is likely not heat.

If you can get to the point where you can do something in Windows, it is
**probably** not the power supply.  Diagnosing the power supply is another
whole topic that we might look at if the above suggestions do not work.

HTH

Dean Kukral