From:
Joan Rapier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 07:52:38 -0700
Topic: How to properly connect to parallel devices to a A/B Switch box.

[J Rapier]
How many channels are on the switch box?

From the back of the computer we have a cable from the printer port
to the A/B switch box I/O port.  A cable goes from 'A' port on
switch box to scanner.  From scanner, a cable goes to the printer we
want to be 'default' which is a Canon BJC 250.  A cable goes from
the 'B' port on switch box to the other printer which is a Brother
L1014 (not exactly sure about the model #).

[J Rapier]
It sounds like you have the devices daisy chained.  If your switch box has
only two channels (A and B) and your scanner *does* use a parallel port (is
not a SCSI device) you'll need to hook the two devices up as follows.

A printer cable needs to go from the switch box I/O port to your printer
connector on the back of your computer.  (I believe you already have this
part)  Then, *each* of your devices - the printer and the scanner - needs
to be connected directly via a printer cable to the switch box channels A
and B respectively.  (Doesn't matter which device you have on which channel
- your choice.)

To use that printer, you will have to make sure that the program you are
trying to print from (e.g. Microsoft Word) is set up to use that printer
first.  If you want to print text from say the Windows text editor -
NOTEPAD - then, yes that printer on your switch box must be set as the
default printer.

Finally, as I'm sure you know, you'll need to remember to change the switch
setting on the box according to the device you wish to use.  You'll forget
from time to time - I'm sure everybody does.  Then Windows will just tell
you the device is not ready or does not exist, etc.  Just correct the
switch setting and try again.

Good Luck!

Joan Rapier