From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 13:32:00 -0400
A single DIMM slot indicates an older board.
Just how old is your board?  What is the chipset?
That would help estimate its age.  I have a couple
of Intel VX chipset boards with July 1996 Bios dates.
They support SDRAM, the most common kind of
DIMM, but some boards may only support EDO DIMMS.
Like my motherboard, your motherboard will
probably have a voltage jumper for the DIMM.  Mine is
set at the factory default 5 volt setting, since I use edo
simms. You should probably locate such a jumper and
confirm it is in the proper voltage setting, 3.3 volts for sdram.
I'm not clear on what size simms you have.
If you can use an SDRAM dimm, and you have two 8 meg simms,
they are not worth saving.  Use a single SDRAM DIMM, and
take the simms out.  My board only allows two simms and
one dimm, or 4 simms, or one dimm.  Two 16 meg simms
sold as used will almost pay for a 64 meg DIMM, so you could
try that.
Tom Turak

On Friday, May 28, 1999 8:58 AM
Debbie Smith wrote:
> Can I combine a DIMM and SIMMs and have them work
> together or do I have to buy more SIMMs if I want to
> use my existing RAM?

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]