From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 15:37:22 -0400
Hi,

Don't be sorry.  It's not me with the problem.  I should have gone one
level deeper in my response though.  The question is, is it 8 chips per
side, or 4 chips per side?  Again the 8 chip per side is the older, more
expensive, usually works with any board type, and the 4 chip per side
does not.  The 4 chip per side design is newer higher density modules.

If it were me, I guess I would make every attempt to find the original
documentation
for that mainboard that you are dealing with, (closets, web, library)
and research the memory specifications as best as I could.  I still
think that the ram did not fail.  Putting it in another machine would
verify that.

I remember when boards that used s-dram 168pin memory first came out,
128's weren't even available right away. We had to use 16, 32, and 64's
only.   We also had issues with things like clock timing and latency
timing to deal with.  Now a days, that is no longer a big concern.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore

-------------------------------

Sorry to inform you of this:
.....it is double sided. Any more suggestions would be welcome though.
Thanks for that anyway, I'll remember it for future reference. Michele
Sayer
------------------------------

> Hi,
>
> No half the ram did not fail.  We have had previous discussions in
> this list about this.
>
> Manufacturers of RAM have changed the density of the modules used.
> They are building them cheaper.  You probably put in a new 128 module
> that is single sided with memory.  If you can exchange it with a 128
> double sided,(read as: older, more expensive design) module it would
> probably read correctly.
>
> Thanks and have a Great Day!
>
> Joe Lore
> ---------------------
>
> I can't believe this, I did it!...........and I can't understand why
> all the websites were making such a fuss about a Phoenix bios! I found

> it really straight forward, and it only took a couple of seconds. I
> was quite nervous to start with though, because on the Fujitsu-siemens

> site, I found two flash update bios's for the D1170, and so I assumed
> they were both intended to go on the one floppy.(Both were different
> sizes when I checked properties) Everytime I tried to load one on, it
> over-wrote the initial one, and vice versa, and when I tried to drag
> and drop the second one to the A drive, there wasn't enough room. In
> the end, after a lot of swearing, I took the chance, just loaded the
> biggest file to the floppy, and went for it. (printing out the
> instructions I found, not realising they wouldn't even coincide with
> what actually happened on screen) If I remember rightly, the only
> thing I had to do was press 'y' twice, then enter. I think that was
> about it. Then the system restarted, and the error message is gone.
> I'm using it now, and it seems fine, although I still only have 63mb
> ram according to windows.(makes sense about the 1mb being used) I do
> have a 128mb stick of ram installed, could half of the ram have failed

> or something? I don't know if that's possible, or would it all fail at

> once? Thank you all so much for all the advice about flashing the
> bios, I feel so stupid now, it was so easy. I've made sure I kept the
> floppy for the future, as I have 2 of these boards. (Haven't attempted

> to use the second one yet, it's still in the packaging, but I've got
> the flash update ready) I've seen the difference in the performance
> already though. Thanx again, Michele Sayer
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com