From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:37:08 -0700
See
http://www.surpluscomputers.com/store/main.aspx?p=CATEGORYbody&c=HDEX
for relatively cheap external drive options. I've done business with
them before without any problems. They are like the "Big Lots" store of
computer and other stuff. I know it will take a long time for the back
up at USB 1.1 (about 1 hour for a 40GB drive), but this seems the
easiest, and possibly cheapest, way of doing a backup under your
scenario as you describe it. BTW They have cheaper hard drives on their
site then the one shown on the link and there are always hard drive
sales from other retailers. Also, in general, USB 2.0 devices are
backward compatible with USB 1.1.

If you have another computer available to you, there are possibly other
options. You would need to post again with a description of that computer.

Tom

jimmie wrote:
> I keep receiving notices to update my computer with SP2. I need to do this for other needs.
> my problems are:
> i dont know how to back up my computer or where to backup to.
> I don't know what to use to back up. Default goes to floppy a drive. Wont let me use drive d for a rewritable disk.
> i have quickbooks also on computer. Which is a Toshiba Satelite 1415,and windows xp home edition.
> I also have a non hi speed usb of 1.1?
> Is this an external way to make my usb a hi speed 2.0? my daughters mp3 requires it to download from it music library.
>
> I also dont have my installation cd for xp, do i fear downloading w/out back up.
>
> thank you for any help or suggestions
>
> jimmie

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml