From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:29:16 -0600
At 11:57 PM 8/31/2003, Ian Carmichael wrote:
>Hello all.  I have an HP laptop here that although had only Win98
>installed,  also had an unknown boot manager (based upon info supplied
>by owner).  Partition type reads as UNKNOWN and using some recovery
>tools I can see directories.  However, C: is unbootable (even if
>sys'ed).  Using PQmagic, I split drive so I could back up some data to
>D, thinking I'd be able to repair C.  Was unable to do so.  Have since
>move backup data off system to CD via wireless link (thank you
>knoppix).  I then wiped all partitions, formated drive and thought I was
>set.  However, when trying to do a re-install of win98, system locks up;
>display shows garbage characters.  Partition still UNKNOWN.  Fdisk/mbr
>no help.  Any ideas?  TIA

Since you have Partition Magic, the first thing to do is remove all partitions
so the drive is totally empty.  Now, using Partition Magic, create a primary
partition, Fat32 that is 98% of the available drive.  Leave 2% blank, (this is
where the laptop dumps data when it loses power).   Then it is just a matter
of formatting it and loading Win98.

If you cannot accomplish this with Partition Magic, (possibly your version is
too old or the partition is really trashed), determine the brand of the hard drive.
Go to the manufacturer's web site and find their low-level format utility, (they
call it low-level but it is actually a mid-level as you cannot low level format an
ATA drive without destroying it).  Run the utility and then use either Partition
Magic or FDISK to build a 98% primary partition.  We have diagnostic software
in our download area that will boot the laptop and determine the brand, model
and product number of your hard drive.

     Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group, Inc.
http://nospin.com - http://freepctech.com