From:
Changhsu Liu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 02:45:25 -0500
I'm changing my internal Panasonic 7502b to an external one. One thing I
cannot figure out is to set up jumper of SCSI ID so that the SCSI ID can be
set from the switch outside the box.

By reading the simple instruction comes with the external case, it seems
that I should put:
RED to pin1,
BLUE to pin2,
YELLOW to pin4, and
BLACK to COM.

From Panasonic jumper info:
1 to 3 for scsi ID control,
pin4 : parity,
pin5: no pin,
pin6: terminator,
pin7: term power.

Result:
Since I took pin 1 to 3 out and put the corresponding connectors in, my
computer recognize it as SCSI "0" no matter what number on my switcher.

Here are my questions:
1) I can find corresponding pins for red, blue, and yellow lines from the
back of panasonic, but where do I put the BLACK one, Which pin is COM?

2) Each jumper pin in the back of panasonic has 2 pins (top and bottom),
but the lines for each pin ID from the external case has only one
connector. Do I connect the top one or the bottom one? (I have tried on
both but it didn't make any difference. The SCSI ID number cannot be
controlled by ID switch.)

3) What are the functions of jumpers on pin 6 (terminator) and pin 7 (term
power)? When pin6 is ON, does it mean it's internally terminated that I do
not need a terminator if my drive is on the last of the scsi chain?

4) From the back of the panasonic, I can see numbers 1, 2, 4 on the
location of pin1, pin2, pin3. Why do they call pin3 "4"? The number does
match the description in the instruction of the external case. There must
be a reason for the number being "4" instead of "3", but why?

5) Is there a restriction on the scsi number you can use on PC? I know "7"
is reserved for system for Mac. Is it the same with PC?

Thanks for the help,

Changhsu Liu