Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2015 15:08:26 -0700
  I booted from a Linux CD and copied everything to an external hard
drive, then took it to a local shop where the tech recognized it as a
state he had seen before.  It looks like over the weekend, an update for
Steam arrived, but was corrupted -- this is the only computer I have
Steam installed on, and in fact I never actually use it.  So he will
uninstall Steam, and run diagnostics to determine whether that fixes the
problem -- with any luck, I'll have my working machine back by the
weekend!
  In the meantime, I fired up my wife's lsptop of roughly similar specs.
 (Gateway rather than Acer, since its screen seemed to be a bit
brighter....)  The built-in wifi adapter on that laptop seems to have
died, but I added an Edimax USB-Wifi dongle and got it working pretty
quickly.