From:
Michael C Soto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 18:02:02 -0700
Hm... Earl, I agree with you that no current computer applications really
need DVD. Most I've seen is a few titles that take up a few feet of shelf
space at the computer superstore. But, I am a student heading off to
college, and DVD movies don't sound half bad... That's the main reason
I'm getting this drive. But, I was trying to get a 16XDVD to try to make
my computer  as "futureproof" as possible. I do not see what other
technology would replace the CDROM other than DVD's - what more could you
want besides the huge storage capacities? But then again, I probably am
being somewhat shortsighted. History has said something of the sort with
the advent of the 2.88MB floppy.

Anyways, I still do desire a DVD drive, but now I am considering a Ricoh
MP9060A, which is a 4X DVD with 6X CDRW and 24X CD-ROM. It's a slower DVD
(which doesn't matter for movies), but it offers CD burning - a definite
plus. But I've heard it has bad movie quality from CNet. It uses
Cinemaster Software decoder. Anyone have any experience on Cinemaster
software decoding?

Thanks for your comments Earl,

- Hawk166_PWR (Michael Soto)

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:13:43 CDT Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> This may not apply to you but ... In my opinion, the reason DVD is
> not the
> "rage" is that DVD is a device in search of a need.  No application
> exists
> that really NEEDS a DVD, especially as a data storage device in
> computers.
> I think they are going to be replaced by some new technology before
> they
> ever find their niche.  I try to discourage users who ask about DVDs
> in
> computers for now.  I'm still waiting for a reason to have one
> instead of a
> normal CD-ROM.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.