From:
Dorien Collier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:02:57 -0700
Do you have a floppy boot disk? Or the start up disk that was created when going through setup? This will boot the computer an A:\.  Try changing dir to c: and see if you are able to access.  Copy the missing files from a:\filename.extension to c:\ (the root directory) prompt. Are you able to run scandisk?  This is suppose to check and repair the file allocation table (if still bad).  Once it scans without errors, you will need to boot to d: or e: drive to access your cd rom drive and go through setup using your restore/setup disk, saving all previous files if prompted. Make sure your start up disk has the cd rom drivers included on it.  I hope this works for you. Let me know, good or bad.  Every little bit helps!

Moni

Connie Clifton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hello,
I am a first time contributor so any help is appreciated.
I am working on a 3 yrs old HP Pavillion 744 running Windows ME. The
problem is it stopped running Windows ME, it won't boot past the ME screen. I
first got a file missing or corrupted error message, so I ran the restore CD and
when I rebooted I got the same thing. Went to HP website and tried to go
step-by-step as they suggested, now I get the message " file allocation table bad
Drive C" and the restore program aborts. I tried first to restore without
formating the Hard Drive with no luck.
So I used the restore disk to try to format and restore, it still aborts.
Help? Anyone?
Connie Clifton

Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
http://freepctech.com