From:
Jeff Lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:05:13 -0800
Bob,

As you are aware, drivers for notebooks can be very unforgiving due to their
proprietary nature. Go to http://support.microsoft.com and try the following
Knowledge Base articles. Hopefully they will help.

302590 & 243431

Good luck,

Jeff

I inherited a Dell Optiplex G110 that had NT installed as the operating
system.  I reformatted the drive and have done a clean installation of
W98SE.  I've downloaded the appropriate drivers from Dell and installed them
in the proper sequence.  When I get to installing the 3COM NIC drivers I'm
asked to insert the W98SE disk after I have selected the drivers.  I then
get an error message saying that the system could not find some installation
files.  If I skip the files and proceed with the installation it all seems
to work because the device manager shows the  adapter card and says its
working fine.  Now we get to the problem.  When I reboot or start the
computer I get the following "stalls" ;  vnetsup.vxd, vredir.vxd, dfs.vxd
and unable to load  msnp32.dll.  I suspect these are all network associated
files that didn't get loaded because they couldn't be found on the W98SE
disk and some config or .inf file has been changed during installation to
look for these.  How can I get rid of the query for these files on startup,
or do I need them?

Bob Warasila