From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 07:49:27 -0700
At 12:09 AM 03/09/2000 , David Sutfin wrote:
>this is my dilemma,
>
>I need to format my D: drive, but it's the partion of my only local hard
>disk.  Can I format my D: drive without effecting the data that is kept on
>my C: drive?

The simple answer is yes.

Formatting is done to each partition on a hard drive.  If the hard drive has
one partition, (the most commonly seen setup), than when you format you
are formatting the only partition.

In your case where you have multiple partitions on the hard drive, you can
format each one independent of the others safely without effecting the data
of the other existing partitions.

You can do this from a Command prompt or Dos Prompt, see our "Guide to
Formatting a Hard Drive"  http://www.nospin.com/pc/faqs0005.html

You can also do this from inside Windows, by double clicking on the My Computer
icon on your desktop.  Then right click on the Icon for your "D" drive, clicking on
the FORMAT option in the box.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: