From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 22:43:58 -0500
At 21:16 3/7/99 -0500, Ben Moore wrote:
>I don't think that you can create an NTFS partition larger than 4 GB on
>a new disk with NT.  You can run NTFS partitions that are much larger but
>have to work around the installation limitation.  One way is to install the
>new HD in an already loaded NT machine and format the new disk there and
>then moving it into your new machine.

When you install NT4, if you specify NTFS for the partition, it first
creates this partition as FAT16 and then (later in the install process)
changes it from FAT16 to NTFS.

The FAT16 that NT4 uses will allow 64 KB clusters, so that *limits*
the partition to 4 GB [**]. This is not a limitation of NTFS but is
because the partition was temporarily FAT16. Later you could resize this
to a larger size using Partition Magic (or a similar program) and all
other partitions that you create after NT4 is fully installed could be
much bigger.

[**] Win9x only allows cluster sizes up to 32 KB clusters and hence is
limited to 2 GB *FAT16* partitions.

Regards,
Bill

                            The NOSPIN Group