From:
Joan Rapier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 14:19:36 -0700
I'm on a high speed network w/ Cox@Home ISP.  I'm getting hit daily w/
attempted breakins.  I'm running a program called Intruder Alert99.
That's how I've learned my system's being poked at.  The system I have
my cable modem on right now is running Windows95B.  I use another
program called Visual Route to try and track down the culprit(s).  I've
narrowed them down to as far away as Norway, Minnesota, and Florida.
Although I've tracked them down that far, I'm at a loss as to what to do
beyond that.

Also, I'm not confident that Intruder Alert can stave off all attacks.
Can it detect all the hits?

The ports that IA99 is monitoring are:
21-FTP
23-Telnet
25-SMTP
53-DNS
70-Gopher
79-Finger
80-HTTP
110-POP3
443-HTTPS
514-Remote Command
31337-Back Orifice

So far, IA99 has detected attempted breakins on Ports 21, 23, and 80.

I have NT Workstation 4.0 - I even have Back Office.  I bought them both
ages ago but just haven't had time to load either or both of them up.

I've never set up a fire wall but am game if that's what I need to do.
Is it time for me to load up NT4.0 Workstation and set up a fire wall or
can I count on IA99 to fend off these attacks?

I have another system - a Pentium 233MMX - ready to build up.  I could
use my Pentium 133 for a Proxy Server if I need one and go ahead and
build up the 233 system.  That'll be 3 systems on my network.  I have
one more client - a K62/400 running Win98.  I'd like to setup internet
access for both computers on the network anyway. I probably can take
care of that at the same time if I need to use a Proxy Server - yes?

Can a Proxy Server serve as my firewall or is that another animal
altogether?

These are the systems I have to work with.  I have each of the Microsoft
Client OSs.  Can you folks suggest a setup using this equipment that
would keep my systems safe (short of having to unplug my network cable)?

Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance.

Joan

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html