From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:38:19 -0800
On 17 Jan 99, at 22:06, Doug & Sharon White wrote:

>   Everything I have read about adding RAM involves just snapping the
> new memory modules into the RAM slots on the Motherboard.  However,
> every time I try to add RAM to any of my computers I get memory
> errors during the memory test at boot up.
>
>   I know that I am supposed to be adding memory in proper pairs and
> of the same type as what is currently installed.
>
>   However, the other day I tried to add two 8 mb modules to a Compaq
> Pentium 60 with 8 mb permanently installed on the main board.  The
> manual said to just add the new memory to the memory slots ...
> nothing else.  Nothing I could do would could get rid of the memory
> errors on boot up.
>
>   I ran all the diagnostics/system checks that Compaq preloads on the
> computer.  Sometimes it "saw" the new memory........sometimes it
> didn't. Nothing I did could solve the memory check errors.
>
>   Is there something more to this than just snapping a few new memory
> modules in?

  If you get an error during the boot-up memory check, you may be
trying to use memory of a type not supported by this machine (as
currently configured...).  One easy way to run into this is installing
non-parity RAM into a machine configured to check parity.  [Most
Pentiums will let you turn this off, but a P60 is going back a few
years....]
  Another possibility is that you may be trying to install EDO RAM in a
machine that only supports FPM.

  "Normal" 72-pin SIMM capacities are 4MB, 16MB, and 64MB.  8MB and
32MB sizes are called "double-density", and not all motherboards can
correctly handle them.  So even if you have the right mix of parity and
memory technologies, 8MB SIMMs may not work properly on any given
motherboard model.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html